Toxic Black Mold Causes Allergic Symptoms
Like other molds, toxic black mold is allergenic. The spores from toxic black mold cause allergic reactions such as breathing problems, sore eyes, runny nose, itchiness, sneezing and a sore throat.
Differing Toxic Black Mold Symptoms
Toxic black mold affects different people in different ways. Some people won’t experience symptoms as severe as what others experience. Children, the elderly and people with weak immune systems are usually the worst affected by toxic black mold.
Toxic Black Mold and Cancer
Experts suspect that toxic black mold can cause cancer, although there still needs to be more research. Some other toxic molds, like Aspergillus for example, definitely cause cancer though. The aflatoxin mycotoxins which Aspergillus produce are among the most powerful carcinogens.
Are Toxic Black Mold Symptoms Permanent?
Once a person is no longer around toxic black mold most of their symptoms should gradually decrease. Some of the health problems caused by toxic black mold are permanent though. For example, after a person has lived with toxic black mold their immune system won’t be as strong as it used to be and they’ll be more sensitive to mold and mycotoxins in the future.Toxic Black Mold Spores and Mycotoxins
Like other molds, toxic black mold reproduces by spreading its spores. And also like other mold, the spores of toxic black mold are allergenic. Unlike most mold spores though, Stachybotrys spores are also toxic since they carry mycotoxins.
Toxic Black Mold Spores
In a toxic black mold colony the spores are kept within a slimy, gelatinous mass. Toxic black mold spores are a brownish color although they can’t be seen with the naked eye of course.
Under the microscope toxic black mold spores that are still attached to the mold colony look similar to a dandelion with clusters of spores growing at the end of a “stem” called hyphae.
How Toxic Black Mold Spores Spread
The wet coating of a toxic black mold colony usually prevents its spores from becoming airborne. If its moisture source runs out though, a toxic black mold colony can dry out and release many of its spores into the air. When toxic black mold is dry it looks gray and powdery. Other things like changes in humidity can also trigger the release of toxic black mold spores.Disturbing toxic black mold can also cause a lot of toxic spores to enter the air. This is why you should never disturb or try to remove toxic black mold if you find it in your home. Removing toxic black mold is much more dangerous than removing ordinary mold and it should only be one by a professional. Toxic black mold spores are heavy compared to other mold spores and so they do not remain in the air for very long. If toxic black spores do not land on a suitable surface to grow on then they die soon after being released. The dead spores are still just as toxic to humans though.
Toxic Black Mold Mycotoxins
It is the mycotoxins that make toxic black mold and its spores toxic to humans. These mycotoxins can be found throughout all parts of toxic black mold.
Toxic black mold produces a group of mycotoxins called trichothecenes. Trichothecene mycotoxins are extremely toxic. The trichothecene types below are found in toxic black mold:
Satratoxin F, G and H (the most abundant type of trichothecene)
Toxic Black Mold Mycotoxin Production
Although toxic black mold can produce mycotoxins it doesn’t do so all the time. Factors affecting whether toxic black mold produces mycotoxins include the material toxic black mold is growing on, temperature, humidity and perhaps other unknown conditions. Environmental conditions which are suitable for toxic black mold to produce mycotoxins are 55% or higher humidity along with fluctuating temperatures. Stress may also cause toxic black mold to produce mycotoxins. When it is growing on certain materials toxic black mold might not produce mycotoxins.
Toxic Black Mold Mycotoxin Exposure
A person might suffer toxic symptoms from toxic black mold mycotoxin exposure by ingestion of mycotoxin contaminated food. Toxic black mold can contaminate crops such as grains and can survive cooking. However crops are treated to remove mycotoxins after harvest.Besides through ingestion, people can also be poisoned by toxic black mold mycotoxins through inhalation. In tests on animals toxic black mold mycotoxins have been found to be 40 times more toxic when inhaled compared to when ingested. A person might suffer toxic symptoms by breathing in airborne toxic black mold spores which contain mycotoxins or breathing in fragments of the mold which can also become airborne and also contain mycotoxins. When toxic black mold is growing inside houses the occupants are of course affected primarily through breathing in the mycotoxins.Toxic black mold mycotoxins can also enter into a person’s body through the skin.
Toxic Black Mold Mycotoxins in Agriculture
Besides in buildings, toxic black mold mycotoxins have also been a problem outdoors in agriculture. In the 1930s and 40s there was an outbreak of stachybotryotoxicosis in farm animals in Eastern Europe.Since then much of the toxicity and effects of ingesting toxic black mold mycotoxins have been observed in animals. Horses in particular are affected by mycotoxins and reportedly a horse will die from ingesting as little as 1mg of trichothecene mycotoxins. Toxic black mold mycotoxins contaminating harvests such as grains, corn, coffee and soy are also a problem for agriculture. However crops are treated after harvest to remove mycotoxins and minimize human mycotoxin exposure through ingestion.
Toxic Black Mold Removal
Mold Removal Overview
The following are the main steps when it comes to mold removal:
1. Wear protective equipment.
Clothing that completely covers you and can be cleaned well or disposed of
2. Seal rooms with plastic sheets to contain mold spores.
3. Create negative pressure by running a fan blowing out a window.
4. Remove the mold. You can use mold removal products such as:
5. Clean belongings. Completely clean mold from non-porous objects. Porous objects may need to be thrown out if mold can’t be removed.
6. HEPA vacuum the area.
7. Seal mold and moldy objects in plastic bags and then dispose of them.
It is strongly recommended that you hire a professional mold removal service to remove Stachybotrys mold, also called black mold or toxic black mold.
Professional Toxic Black Mold Removal
If you find toxic black mold in your home don’t disturb it. If toxic black mold is harmed or disturbed it can release millions of mycotoxins into the air, contaminating your home.Instead, you should talk to a toxic black mold removal service as soon as possible, as it is extremely risky to try to kill or remove toxic black mold yourself. Mold that is toxic should really only be removed by a professional mold removal service experienced in removing toxic black mold. The correct methods of toxic black mold removal are needed to contain the spread of spores and mycotoxins during the remediation process.
Remove Toxic Black Mold Quickly
People often do not act quickly to remove toxic black mold. However, as soon as you find toxic black mold in your home you should take steps to have the mold removed. Ignoring the problem will only let it become worse.Every day you spend in an environment with toxic black mold could be potentially causing you long term chronic health problems and permanent damage. People often underestimate the damage toxic black mold can do to their health until it has already happened. Toxic black mold can cause problems such as mental impairment, breathing difficulty, damage to internal organs and sometimes even death.
Moving During Toxic Black Mold Removal
Experts recommend that if you have toxic black mold in your home then it’s best to move to temporary accommodation until it has been removed, especially if you are suffering toxic symptoms. Ideally you should only return to your home after a professional toxic black mold removal service has completely fixed the problem. There is also a possibility that belongings you take with you when you move can continue to make you sick if they contain mycotoxins from the toxic black mold.